Q: Multiple warning lights due to electronic control module - 2009 Kia Borrego

asked by on September 21, 2016

I was driving around 60 mph when the following came on: vehicle stability icon, ABS, brake icon, cruise control, and the engine icon. The speedometer stopped working and showed my speed as zero, while I was still going 60 mph. After a few seconds, all the icons disappeared just before I stopped my SUV. Since they disappeared, I decided to keep driving to my destination, which I reached. Then when I left there, when the car turned on all the warning lights came on again. I had the car towed to the dealership where I was told that the main electronic control module had failed and would need to be replaced. But they didn’t mention about the main ECM total failure and what caused it. Would you please explain to me what was the reason for that complete failure?

As the problem is fairly uncommon, it is likely the engine ecu did experience a processing failure and caused many warning lights to illuminate once the computer lost communication with the other systems. All of the systems where warnings came up must also be inspected to see if a shorted circuit from one of the other systems caused the ecu to fail.