Q: Engine Fail Safe Program

asked by on September 29, 2016

hello...when i'm driving my x5 in the city...suddenly engine fail safe prog shows up with all the other lights(service engine soon + Brake + ABS) where no power when stepping the gas pedal as before...i just stop the engine for 2 minutes and the car returns normal...but this is happening everyday with me...i tried to solve this problem in many ways where i payed till now about 400$ without any result..

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1396.98 Get a Quote
Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. There are a few possible issues that can cause this. The most common cause is low voltage in the electrical system. This is due to a failing alternator or a failing battery. It can also be caused by a bad connection at the negative battery cable. All of these are common issues. I usually start by load testing the battery and alternator first. If those are fine, then I check the ground connections. I have also seen loose terminals in the fuse box so that may need to be tested also. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the stalling problem.