Q: Emergency brake not working

The emergency brake on my jeep is not working. Also, I think the power steering pump might need to be replaced. My jeep also overheats when driving in the city, but not on the freeway, and the brake lines are leaking.

Hello. Your Grand Cherokee has a cable-operated hand brake, and is adjustable from under the car. Sometimes, the cables are stretched, and a spacer will need to be installed on the threaded adjuster to get the proper tension. Check your power steering pump for noise or leaks. If there is noise, check the fluid level in the reservoir at idle. There is a dip stick on the cap; it uses hydraulic power steering fluid, not automatic transmission oil. If this is low, check the lines from the pump to the steering box for wetness. It is very common to have the high pressure line leak, which causes the pump to make a squealing noise when turned fully left or right. Check the pump for a leak coming from behind the pulley; if it is leaking, you will need to replace the pump.

If your Jeep is overheating in traffic, you should check the electric fan on the radiator to see if it working. If it is not, there are several potential reasons, including a bad fan motor, bad relay, or bad temperature sensor, all of which would require the help of a skilled technician familiar with Jeeps to diagnose. This is a common problem, but it has many causes.

If your brake lines are leaking, then they require immediate attention for replacement, for your safety. I would recommend hiring a qualified technician come to you for a thorough inspection and diagnosis of your emergency brake malfunction and overheating issues.

3. Emergency brake not working