Q: EGR valve is open when cold and closed when engine hot

My freelander 2 when i start works fine but when heated it becomes rough. Scanner says EGR valve gets closed when engine hot and it is open when engine is cold

A: Hi there. Usually this situation is caused ...

Hi there. Usually this situation is caused by an EGR valve that is dirty and needs to be cleaned. This component recirculates unburned fuel particles (carbon) from the exhaust and back into the intake manifold to be burned a second time during the combustion process. When the EGR valve gets dirty, it can malfunction. The solution is to either clean or have a professional mechanic replace the EGR valve.