Q: Driverside engine vibration at warm idle.

asked by on April 20, 2017

On startup the car runs and idles fine. After the engine warms up I am getting a very noticeable shaking from the drivers side of the engine. I can also hear a faint whimper like a belt slipping, but when I stick my head under the hood I don't hear anything coming from the belts. On acceleration the vibration goes away. The car does not have power steering or a/c. It also seems that when the vibrations are occurring I am hearing a lot of clicking as well.

Hi there. Quite often the type of vibration you are describing can be caused by a loose motor mount. It’s not uncommon for only one side to wear out, but as one becomes loose, excessive pressure is applied to the other and it soon follows. However, the vibration you are hearing may also be caused by a loose or slowly wearing out serpentine belt pulley. It’s also possible that a fuel system component like a mass air flow sensor or EGR valve might be dirty, causing excessive vibrations due to restricted air / fuel flow. The best way to weed through all of the possible causes is to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car is vibrating inspection.