Q: driver side lower ball joint rubbing rim.

asked by on December 07, 2016

1998 plymouth breeze, hearing grinding sound when turning, took off wheel and found that the lower ball joint is rubbing the inner most part of rim, almost sitting on the rim, passenger side is fine with about 2 inches of space between them. possible lower control arm bushings bad causing the droop?

Clunking or knocking noise from wheels Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The control arm bushing can cause the lower ball joint to rest on the rim. If the bushings are missing, the lower control arm will move forward or backwards with the vehicle during turns. This can put a bind on the center bolt and cause the lower control arm to touch the rim. If the bushings are in good shape, then either the center bolt is worn and needs replaced or the lower ball joint is damaged and needs replaced. If you need further assistance with the lower ball joint rubbing the rim during a turn, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.