Q: Does the water pump need to be replaced if the water pump belt is showing signs of wear? Or just the belt?

My dealership service department has been recommending that I replace my water pump each time I bring my car in for service even though I don't have any issues. Now they are saying the belt is showing signs of cracks and should be replaced along with the water pump. Do both have to be replaced or just the belt?

Hi, thanks for writing in. There is no reason to replace the water pump every time the belt is changed, unless the pump itself is damaged or not working properly. The belt may show signs of wear which is fairly common between 80k-100k miles. I would not recommend putting the belt service off as this can cause major damage if the belt were to snap. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to inspect your belts to determine when and if they would need to be replaced, while at the same time inspecting your water pump and cooling system to be sure there are no issues with it.

3. Does the water pump need to be replaced if the water pump belt is showing signs of wear? Or just the belt?