Q: Transmission does not shift properly

asked by on December 10, 2016

My car rpm goes up tp 3 or 4 at 10 mph. Was told it was fluids had it drained and refilled replaces filter now told its the ignition coils

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

The ignition coils do not have anything to do with the function of the transmission. The symptoms you describe suggest you may have a failing transmission control solenoid or a failing transmission control module. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all.

A faulty transmission control module may cause a delay in acceleration or erratic shifting of gears. The transmission control module has various sensors such as vehicle speed sensors, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensors, turbine speed sensor, and transmission fluid temperature sensors that all direct information to it in order for it to perform it’s function. Other components controlled by the TCM are components such as a kick down switch, traction control system, and cruise control module. Any of these may also affect the way the transmission control module performs and controls the transmission and the shifting of your vehicle. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your transmission shifting problem.