2005 Dodge Caravan what I’m doing about 60 to 70 slightly...

2005 Dodge Caravan what I’m doing about 60 to 70 slightly jerks Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the Mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know? Have...

2005 Dodge Caravan what I’m doing about 60 to 70 slightly jerks Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the Mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know? Have a 2005 Dodge Caravan when I’m doing about 65 to 70 is slightly jerks

Automotive Expert
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer.I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. I will do my best to help you resolve them. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. So this could be a couple things but to narrow it down you will need to use a scan tool and watch the misfire monitor. I suspect you have a misfire. A good scan tool can read this and see what trouble codes may be in there. It could possibly be a torque converter shudder but I would guess a misfire over that. If you can scan it let me know what you find. Could be spark plugs, [ignition coil](/topics-ignition-coil-dodge/), wiring, ect.....

Hello Jason I just did the plugs about a month or two ago so they might be OK...Also my van has about 572,000 miles on it... also I just recently got the flex plate replaced A few weeks ago and he didn't replace the transmission filter...The only codes I'm getting out for the EGR valve and another one to be the temperature outside but that piece got ripped off by a piece of cardboard and I need to replace the sensor...
Automotive Expert
So with that many miles it very well could be a torque converter shudder. But you still may have a misfire without a code being thrown. A misfire monitor on the scan tool will read it in actual time. Another reason is at 60-70 that is when there is a very high load on the engine and misfire will show up there almost always if there is one. Those miles are quite impressive btw. You must take care of it!

It won't surprise me if I do have a misfire because a couple of times I have gotten a colde misfire on cylinder one..If it was a misfire wouldn't do it all the time not just at 60 to 70 mphI try my best to take care of it because it's my work van
Automotive Expert
Not really no. If it is a dead miss like a bad lifter, valve, ect.... yes it would do it all the time. If it is a coil it usually happens under a load like what you are describing. IF you can run the monitor and find out what cylinder it is you can take and swap that cylinders coil to the one next to it and see if the miss moves to that cylinder...easiest way to find the culprit without spending money. You can also do this with the injector and spark plug. I would put money on it being a coil myself.

I should check the injectors also
Automotive Expert
Id start with the coil. It is the most likely suspect.

OK so check the wires the plugs and a coil rightOh yeah forgot and if no code comes up on the reader
Automotive Expert
Yea you will either have to keep driving until you get a code, replace all the coils and plugs or get a scan tool that can do a misfire monitor so you can find out what cylinder it is.

if it is a misfire on one of the cylinders is that an easy fix
Automotive Expert
It really depends on what it is causing it. I think you have a bad coil. You just have to figure out which out of the 6 are causing it.

I did just replace that maybe A year or two ago... so say I replace the plugs wires and coil and it still does it what should I look at then The torque converter
Automotive Expert
Yes that would be where I would go next. And your vehicle doesn't have plug wires. Only a coil and plug. The coil sets right on top of the valve cover and plug.

Isn't that a coil pack plug and wires
Automotive Expert
Yes sorry I was helping another person on a newer one and got it confused.

there still a way to check the coil pack right
Automotive Expert
Well in your case once you find out which cylinder it is you can swap the wire and plug but all you can do is replace the coil itself. You can remove it and ohm test it to see if it is good though if you have a meter.

Oh OK I think what I might do just to be safe because I drive a lot of miles every day is to replace the plugs and wires and coil pack but if it still does it I'm going to replace the torque converter
Automotive Expert
That will work too. Hope it all works out for you.

Thank you for all your help sir greatly appreciated
Automotive Expert
No problem you are welcome. Have a great evening.

You do the same sir

Hello Jason if I have a update or another question do I need to go to the website or can I just text you
Automotive Expert
Sure just ask me here is just fine.

OK so yesterday while I was at work driving it didn't do no hesitation at all But this morning on my way in to work did it about seven times..I was able to use my neighbors code reader and got a bad EGR valve cold and also cat catalytic catalytic code but I have an exhaust leak right after the O2 sensor and before the cat..Not sure if any of this makes a difference
Automotive Expert
So you may be on to something now with the EGR. Sometimes when they go bad they stick open and feed the engine too much fuel vapor and cause a stalling condition. I would put an EGR valve on it. The exhaust leak will cause issues if it is before the 02 sensor so you should repair that. It will cause the sensor to read too much air and cause it to run rough.

OK I'm going to replace the EGR valve in the fuel filter just to be safe crazy thing is since I've had this van I replace the EGR valve at least six times now.. The leak is actually after the O2 sensor...Also I finally seen what happens when it does when hapoen and the RPMs drop from 2200 down to 1700 then back up to 2200
Automotive Expert
Yea the EGR is likely the issue. They are known for it. And btw it doesn't have a fuel filter. It is made in the pump.

Should have known...So my 2005 Doesn't have a separate filter it's built inside the pump which means I have to get a fuel pump itself correct?
Automotive Expert
Yes it is part of the fuel pump. Sorry for the delay I had a Christmas get together last night and haven't been on and the app on my phone didn't send me a notification.