Q: Car jerking forward when stopped.

asked by on December 16, 2016

When I'm at a complete stop when my foot is on brake it feels like car is jerking forward. I had my brakes checked a month ago and they said I needed brake fluid and that was it . When driving the vehicle feels like has no umph in it .

This may be related to a dirty of failing idle air control valve. This is a unit that monitors the air intake into the motor as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. This information is relayed to the vehicle’s ECU which then makes adjustments to ensure the proper air/fuel ratio. When this is not working properly, this may cause an unbalanced load of fuel to be injected into the motor resulting in a fluctuating idle. The idle air control valve also helps to transition the motor from higher RPM’s back down to a slow idle without causing the motor to stall. When this not working properly, you may notice an erratic idle which may cause the vehicle to lurch forward when sitting at a stop light as you describe. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.