Q: Do I need to have the oil pan replaced as well for a leaky gasket? We took my 08' Tahoe Hybrid to the dealer and they said I have

Our Tahoe is leaking oil from the oil pan gasket. Th dealer said I need to replace the pan as well as the gasket. Not sure what the need would be to replace the pan too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello...the only reason that you would need a new oil pan is if the pan is corroded or physically damaged (tears, cracks, big dents, perforations). If the oil drain plug threads are damaged, that is repairable and the pan is re-usable. As far as corrosion, such would have to well exceed "surface" corrosion which is essentially cosmetic. "Dents" have to be evaluated. Small dents are OK, just so long as they do not interfere with the oil pick up screen. If there’s a small dent, lay the pan on the sealing (gasket) surface on a perfectly flat table. As long as the pan lays flat, the gasket will seal and it is perfectly OK. The bottom line is the shop would have to give you a credible reason for replacing the pan and you should compare that reason against your own physical inspection. Always keep old parts, in this case the pan, if a problem or dispute arises later. If you have the work done by a certified mechanic from YourMechanic you can get as good, and often better, service and save money at the same time. For the repair in your case, the service to request would be oil pan gasket replacement. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• Do I need to have the oil pan replaced as well for a leaky gasket? We took my 08' Tahoe Hybrid to the dealer and they said I have