Q: Do I need a new battery?

My car won't start unless I give the battery a smack. Almost every time I try to turn on my car, it won't start until I smack it and wiggle it around. Usually I've heard when a better dies it's hard to get it going unless it's jumped but I don't need to jump it. Does this mean I need a new battery or is it something else?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. The symptoms you are having are a good indication that the battery is failing. It may also be a sign that your electrical connections need some maintenance. You can have the battery tested at most automotive parts stores, and they usually do it for free. Replace it if needed. If the battery is okay, then you want to clean your battery cables, the battery terminals, and the ground connection. Make sure they cables are clean, dry, and tight when the new or existing battery is reinstalled. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Do I need a new battery?