Q: Difficulty shifting on cold start, shakes upon acceleration

When I start the van and the engine is still cold, it has difficulty shifting into first and second gear. This improves when the engine warms up a bit. I've also experienced the van shaking badly, when I try to speed up around 45 mph. Are these issues related and how can I fix this?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 201...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your 2010 Ford Transit Connect. Most of the time, if the vehicle has low miles on it, this is caused by a programming issue. I have had a lot of these come by with transmission module programming problems. If the vehicle already has a lot of miles on it, then it may have an issue with the valve body. These fail and require replacement as they warp or become clogged with debris. If you need to have this diagnosed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the hard start and determine what fixes are needed.