Q: Difficult start with hot engine, shutting off at start - 1990 Pontiac Grand LeMans

When I attempt to start the car with cold engine, it starts up immediately. However, if I drive the car for a while and park it briefly, it cannot be restarted right away. It would start, but shut off quickly. When the engine is warmed up, it takes several tries to get it started. I had the codes read and several appeared. These include: code 15 coolant temperature low; code 42 electronic spark timing issue; 32 EGR failure; and 44 engine running lean. What do you suggest I should do first?

Hello there, thanks for writing in. You may have a few different things going on with your 1990 Pontiac Grand LeMans. These codes are most likely all related and have a few common causes. The most likely causes for this would be a stuck, open, or faulty thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, vacuum leak, spark plugs, exhaust leak, or an oxygen sensor. A certified automotive technician such as one from YourMechanic will perform a check engine light is on inspection and diagnose the fault performing any repairs required.

• Difficult start with hot engine, shutting off at start - 1990 Pontiac Grand LeMans