Q: Q: Did we pay too much?

My daughter in Bellingham, WA took her car to Chrysler dealer with engine light. They charged her $264 just to check the problem, which was EVAP leak. They said they "changed a housing and replaced two filters". Now light is out, but I suspect there was nothing wrong with the car. It was probably a loose gas cap. A good mechanic would have checked the computer code, given her a quote and refunded the balance. I think she was treated badly and charged too much. How should we have handled it?

You should first view the repair invoice and see what parts were installed and the cost of labor for each item. Then have a local mechanic or check the parts to see if they were replaced. Some emission parts do go bad and it is not the gas cap every time.

3. Q: Did we pay too much?