Q: Diagnostic scanner is reading an ignition coil issue

Ok I'm trying to buy a car. It runs good and has good power. The only problem is when You Get to about 20mph it has s horrible miss/jerk. After you get over 20mph it runs great. I floored it and it had great power and no Mises After that. He is saying that they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and they're telling me it's the igniting coil? Does this sound like the symptoms to you?

Hi there. Yes, it could definitely be an ignition coil, but do you want to take his word for it? Did you see the diagnostic machine with the code displayed? Even if there is a code, that does not necessarily mean that the coil is at fault; there could be other issues at fault. A diagnostic code is just that, a code. It leads the technician to the system and area where a fault has been detected; it does not tell what the fault is, only that there is a fault.

I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform an inspection to give you "peace of mind" and sound advice on what all may be going on with the vehicle. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an in depth pre-purchase inspection to aid you in your decision and possibly give you negotiating leverage.