Q: Diagnosing a valve cover gasket leak - 2009 Ford Fusion

asked by on November 14, 2016

Noticed a little oil in my engine compartment and below it lately the last time I changed my oil as well as the last time I had someone change my oil. Service place suspected a valve cover leak, ballparked a cost for replacement at $250-ish.

Got a quote from Yourmechanic at $120ish, just want to make sure it's definitely the valve cover gasket before I schedule an appointment and have the mechanic find something completely different.

Thanks in advance!

The valve cover gasket will be the highest point of the engine that could be leaking oil. Any oil leak from the valve cover will leak down over the rest of the engine. Without visually seeing the valve cover to identify the leak, there would not be a certain diagnosis. It is common for the valve cover to leak and most likely is the leak.

If you are worried about the source of the leak, then I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to pinpoint the oil leak and perform the necessary repairs.