Q: car vibrates when driving .

asked by on September 16, 2016

My Lexus 2007 es350 vibrated in the front between 45-65 mph. Don't hear grinding clicks or pops when turning. Really felt it after being rear ended a month earlier. Thought it was the tires but after the new ones were mounted and balanced the car vibrates whenever I accelerate now.what could be the problem, and could it be related to being rear ended? Also the vibration is in the front.

Hello. I will help you with your question relative to the vibration problem you are experiencing with your 2007 Lexus ES350. If the vibration is occurring only during "moderate to strong" acceleration, but not during coasting, it is likely caused by worn motor mounts or an engine-related issue.

However, if you are traveling at 45-65 MPH and take your foot off the gas and the car still vibrates, then the problem is more likely in rotating components such as wheels, tires, axles, brake rotors and so forth.

Vibration could also be caused by loose suspension parts or loose wheel bearings. As far as the collision you have described, that would probably not affect the "front end" suspension. However, there is a possibility that you are misjudging the actual "source" of the vibration and it is coming from the rear where, of course, there could be suspension parts that were damaged but not repaired and that would cause your issue at 45-65 MPH.

There is also a possibility of an undiagnosed frame damage which would have to be determined using a "tram" to measure the frame. Regardless of the location, or cause of the problem, a specialist from YourMechanic could use wireless chassis ears (remote pick-ups) or another technique to distinguish between vibration and noise from the front versus the rear and also from wheel to wheel. From there, they will be able to diagnose the vibration issue and let you know what repairs should be made.