Q: Q: Dead Car

So about a week and a half ago my car battery died. Today a friend volunteered to have it jumped. After a few seconds with both our cars connected she gave me the signal to turn my ignition on. Instead of my car restarting, my friends car started smoking. We immediately turned my car off. She said she might have put the cables on wrong. Now nothing is turning on at all. Is it time to replace my battery? My car has only died once before (About 3 months ago) in the 5 years I've had it and the guy that jumped it that one time told me I needed a new battery. I took it straight to the dealer after and all my battery tests came back fine. I also just took it a couple weeks ago to get 70k service maintenance and was not told of any problems.

The smoking from the cables may very well have been caused by having the cables hooked up backwards. You may want to have your charging system diagnosed by a professional from YourMechanic to be sure your alternator and battery are in good working order.

There is also a unit called voltage regulator which monitors the voltage supply from the alternator to the battery to ensure the proper charge. When this is not working properly, this can cause the battery to lack the sufficient charging needed by the alternator.