Q: Cylinder #4 misfire, PO304

Hello, My vehicle is mainly repaired by me. I take pride in the repairing and maintenance of my vehicles. But the repair is a bit out of my league this time. My truck is on idle stuttering and almost shutting off. The exhaust is spitting out light smoke and gas. It smells like its burning rich. I have replaced the spark plug and the wire on that cylinder and checked the coil and its all good. The only thing remaining is the injector on that cylinder. I figure its stuck and dripping constant fuel into the cylinder? The vehicle is parked at home now. I cannot drive it this way. My question is, from my description, would it be the injector #4?

A: In order to know for sure that your problem...

In order to know for sure that your problem is with the injector for the number 4 cylinder, is to do a fuel pressure leak down. If the fuel pressure does not leak down after you turn on the key and the pressure rises, then let it sit. The fuel pressure should stay up and not bleed down more than one PSI per 15 minutes max. If you see the pressure go down pretty fast then your injector may be the reason why. You would have to block off the return line on the fuel rail if it has one, to make sure that it’s not the fuel pressure regulator doing the leaking.

If the injector is the suspect, replacing it will be the answer. If you do not have any pressure loss, you will need to do an injector driver test for the cylinder by hooking up a noid tester light to the injector connector and see if the light blinks while the engine is running. If the light stays on, then the engine control module has a shorted injector driver. If the light blinks then you know the injector circuit is okay. Afterwards, a compression test on the cylinder is necessary. You will most likely find out that the injector is leaking and flooding the cylinder out. Make sure to check the oil to make sure that it’s not getting over filled by fuel leaking into the cylinder. If you feel you need help diagnosing the problem then contact a qualified mechanic to assess your misfire and make the necessary repairs to get your car going again.