Q: can I change my obd1 tbi engine to carbureted with hei vacuum advance distributor

I have been having continuing problems with blowing icm's and coils leaving me stranded and I want to change to carb and hei dist. and eliminate the computer controls for engine. Is this possible without too much problems. After changing icm and coil when it stopped a few weeks ago it worked fine for a few weeks then it wouldn't start when I went to go somewhere. It cranks but won't start after replacing icm and coil again, what else would keep it from starting? If I could get it to work without leaving me stranded I wouldn't bother changing it to carb and getting rid of computer, please help!

A: Hello. If you want to change the ignition s...

Hello. If you want to change the ignition system to the old vacuum style system then yes, you will need to remove all of the electronics. The engine would need to have all of the sensors removed and a carburetor would need to be installed. This would be the only way to make this work. If you would like to have this looked at first, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and help have this issue corrected.