Q: Oil presure light

I took the car to a mechanic to fix the problem causing the flashing of the low engine oil pressure light. He changed the oil pump filter and the light went off. After driving about 7.5km, the lights came back. I switched the engine off and parked it. Today, I drove for about 20km before the light came on again.

What might be the possible cause of this? Do I need to reset anything after the oil pump filter was changed?

The oil level in the engine is ok.

Hello. You should not have to reset anything related to the oil pressure after servicing the vehicle. If the light is coming on then that is a sign that there is an issue with the engine’s oil pressure or an issue with the sensor or associated wiring. If the oil level is good then it may be possible that the light is coming on due to insufficient oil pressure. If the oil pump screen was recently changed, then it may be possible that the oil pump is the source of the problem. A worn oil pump may no longer be able to provide sufficient oil pressure, which will set off the oil light if pressure drops too low. This usually only occurs with high mileage engines, due to wear. Another, more likely, possibility is an issue with the oil pressure sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit is the component that detects oil pressure. A faulty sending unit can send a bad signal to the computer, which can mistakenly set off the oil pressure light. The same can be caused by faulty wiring to the sending unit. As these sorts of problems can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what the exact cause of your illuminated oil light may be.