Q: I have a 99 Yukon when I put it in reverse it goes forward. It has only done it twice

When I put my Yukon in reverse today it went forward so I put it in park and then in reverse again and it did the same thing. When I tried again then it would back up. What would cause this to happen

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. Make sure the linkage on the side of trans moves along with the shifter cable as the cable moves.

If that’s okay, then drop pan and check the linkage to manual valve and make sure when you manually move the lever on trans that the manual valve moves with it. If that’s okay, the transmission may have a broken thimble filter behind the plug on the manual valve. If everything checks out to be good on the transmission, then there could be a cross leak on the input shaft seals causing the reverse clutch to activate and override the forward clutch. A certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the shifting problem and assist with repairs.