Q: CV Axle failure.

I took my truck in for inspection. The shop(dealer) told me that the connection between the axle and CV axle is corroded and the assembly needs replaced. He quoted a very high number $1100. After looking online I am finding CV axles for as low as $70 and Axles in the low $100. I want to ensure I order the right parts for the shop to install, as they refuse to order anything other than their very marked up products. However, they will install parts customers bring in.

Hello there, without knowing which parts the dealer determined to be faulty I can only offer general advice for your 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. The CV shaft, CV boots, and axle assembles are common repair items, any one of these or a combination could be faulty. A qualified Technician from YourMechanic will be able to inspect and replace your CV axles and come to you to perform the repair.

3. CV Axle failure.