Q: Cruise control not working properly

The cruise control in my truck is not working properly. Sometimes it will work, mostly when I first start driving, but over time it stops working altogether.

A: The most common cause of this on your truck...

The most common cause of this on your truck is a bad brake light switch. The cruise turns off when the brakes are applied. When this switch fails the cruise always thinks that the brakes are applied which won’t allow the cruise to turn on. If the switch is fine then the cruise control buttons may have an issue. A computer scan tool would then need to be used to see what the inputs are reading. If you plan on having this done, consider YourMechanic, I would have a certified mechanic diagnose the problem firsthand to recommend an appropriate repair.