Q: Cost to replace engine power relay

It was found that the engine power relay was bad. To replace it, how much would it cost? The shop told me they charge $340 in total. Saying 3 hours of labor and $27 for parts. Is it reasonable?

A: I would first confirm the diagnosis before ...

I would first confirm the diagnosis before talking about the cost. Did they explain in some detail what the fault is? Did they show you test outputs or any tangible proof? They should be able to show you a print out or real time scan from a hand held tool (a meter) of the relay not operating. Basically a relay typically completes a relatively high current circuit (provides continuity) when it receives a low voltage signal. So, they should be able to show you very easily the "result" of their test.

The part cost of course sounds fairly nominal. If the relay is buried underneath many other components, it's true that sometimes you practically have to take the car apart to get to it. The labor cost for 3 hours sounds a bit high though. Again, I would first confirm the diagnosis.

You have a right to a reasonable explanation and quick view of whatever technical fault they found and you should also explore other options for the diagnostic and repair such as YourMechanic. You'll be able to get a diagnoses and a quote for the replacement of the engine power relay as necessary. Best of luck.