Q: Coolant flow control valve and camshaft position

My car has a metallic noise when I accelerate, auto zone diagnosed on check engine light, the coolant flow control valve position sensor circuit stuck also camshaft position- timing over retarded. How serious is this?

A: A camshaft position sensor is a sensor that...

A camshaft position sensor is a sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. This is a small sensor that is usually easily replaced and fairly inexpensive. The coolant control valve controls the flow of coolant in and out of the coolant storage tank. By diverting coolant into the storage tank, it can keep the coolant heated in order to keep the engine at operating temperature. This valve can become stuck and the computer will recognize this as an incorrect coolant flow which triggers this code and your check engine light. A YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to perform a Check Engine Light is on Inspection on your vehicle or help you with a camshaft position sensor replacement.