Q: Constant difficulty shifting from neutral into 1st

There is a constant problem with getting the gears to move from neutral into 1st. It goes from being difficult to being impossible… those are the two options to getting my car into 1st from a red light. There is a feeling like something is blocking the gear slot. At times, the Only way to get it into 1st is to turn off the car and then restart it. I’ll give an example: if I drive around town for a total of approximately 30 miles in a day, this 1st gear sticking problem happens 6 out of 10 traffic lights. When I took the car to the dealership, they could not duplicate the problem and so I’m stuck with the problem. What can I do to fix this awful and consistent problem?

A: Hi there. There is a mechanical link betwee...

Hi there. There is a mechanical link between the shifter handle and the transmission. This linkage may have worn out bushings or even be broken to some degree. Otherwise, a faulted master or slave cylinder can inhibit the proper hydraulic operation of the system and with no hydraulic pressure, you will not be able to change gears. Have an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the transmission shifter assembly to diagnose the shifting problem.