Q: Codes P0088 & P1186, Hyundai IX35 CRDI 2.0 2014 model

Thank you to all you Gents spending time to help people like me and others. I own a Hyundai IX35 CRDI 2.0, 2014 model

The car starts well. Code P0088 (Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High) comes up as soon as the car starts. The MIL stays OFF, it will not go above 3000 RPM, more smoke than expected and you can feel the injectors noisier as well, due to high pressure, I think. But when I start to drive or play with accelerator after a few minutes it just cut out and dies generating P1186 (Fuel Pressure - Too Low) and MIL comes ON. The car can start again just after. Sometimes I have to wait for a few minutes/Hours, then it starts easy and can drive again but not for long then it does the same. The fuel pump in the tank is clean and it's pumping strong, even after the car cut out, it’s still pumping diesel to the engine. I replaced fuel filter, Rail-pressure regulator and cleaned the Pump-pressure regulator but the problem still not fixed. Please, help. Thanks, Milton

Hello Milton. It seems that you have an fuel pressure issue. There are two electrical components that contribute to how fuel is regulated. They include the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel rail pressure sensor. Due to the age of the vehicle, it is likely this will be covered under warranty. If you are looking to make the repairs yourself, keep it mind it may void the warranty. You will need to test the inputs and outputs of the sensor and regulator and compare the results with the manufacturer specifications. A multimeter is the best tool for this kind of job. You may be able to find the specifications online, or you may choose to replace both components just to be safe. Test or replace the sensor and the regulator.