Q: Clutch engaged with pedal up or down issue? 2006 Mazda 3

Was driving had to shift gears pressed pedal down tried to shift to third and gears grinded like I released clutch to early but didn't didn't seem to be an issue but when I tried to shift to fourth the clutch would not disengage so shift with rpms. Stopped at stop sign then shifted into first but it was like the clutch would not disengage again. Rpm shifted to second so on to fifth. Parked the car then a few hours later tired to see if things were different but they were not it still would not release the clutch. And could only shift into gear when car was off. Cranked it in first and it lunched forward and died. Waited awhile later and car just spends would not turn over in neutral or in gear. Any ideas? Brake fluid nice and full and clear. No check engine or other lights on dash. Check linkages all are fine that I can find. No burnt smell or liquid on ground.

Hi there - there are several possibilities here - none of them pleasant, and all will require removal of the transmission to get to the failed bit. It is possible the pilot bearing has seized up - which would make it seem as though the clutch were engaged, regardless of whether the clutch pedal was depressed (and working properly) or not. It’s also possible the clutch pressure plate "fingers" where the throwout bearing applies forced from the clutch pedal and hydraulics are damaged in some fashion, and will not compress to release the clutch disc. Last and least likely is a failure of the clutch master cylinder - internally - since there doesn’t appear to be any fluid loss. I recommend a clutch inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr