Q: What would you consider as a tune up?

asked by on September 07, 2016

Car as 110000 miles and has regular oil changes but lately running a little ruff

A car is a mechanical device that wears out in a predictable pattern. Therefore, tune-ups are NOT determined by personal predilection. If someone tells you, "In my opinion, a tune up consists of....", run for the exits! In other words, what you need to do to your vehicle in the way of service is determined by technical requirements, not what someone thinks, and consequently the Factory Service Manual for your car has set out an exact and exhaustive itemized list of each item that needs to be attended to and at what mileage or time interval.

The FSM for your vehicle is your best authority and has practically all data, save for TSB’s (Technical Service Bulletins) that pertain to your specific model. If you intend to keep the car for as long as possible, do ALL of the following given your mileage of 110,000:

1. New spark plugs and plug wires.
  2. Replace timing belt and confirm engine timing and advance function after replacement
  3. Replace fuel filter
  4. Replace engine air filter and cabin air filter
  5. Drain, flush and re-fill cooling system.
  6. Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (if serviceable) and re-fill with Synthetic ATF.
  7. Inspect engine accessory drive belts for excessive wear or damage.
  8. If engine is not running smoothly, check fuel and ignition system per diagnostics (in FSM). Ideally, fuel injectors should be removed, internal filters replaced and injectors thoroughly cleaned ultrasonically, but unless the top end of the engine is already disassembled, this is not usually convenient. If the engine is truly running poorly, you might have to consider this though.
  9. Check air pressure in tires (common problem and causes easily avoidable fuel losses due to excess friction). Rotate tires/wheels.
  10. Load test battery as your battery is now 4-5 years old and will need replacement in next 24 months at most.

If you need to have a tune-up service for your car, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home to complete these tasks.