Q: Clunking noise from driver side wheel

asked by on February 10, 2018

Just started today. Before I had this problem but it was worse it was a bad wheel bearing. I replaced my driver side wheel bearing and was fine for 300 or so miles. Now when my wheel rotates when im driving I hear a clicking and clunking sound and can feel it in my steering wheel. What could be causing this? I know all 4 of my front ball joints are completely shot but it was not making this noise before. How long can I drive with it sounding like this before my wheel falls off? Thanks!

If the new wheel bearing was not installed with the axle nut set to the factory torque specification, the noise could be from the wheel bearing. Other possible causes of noise at that location are brake interference and a faulty outer CV joint. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic - suspect wheel bearings, the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the origin of the noise and get this issue taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.