Q: Clinking sound when put in drive, noise over 50 mph

When I start the van and put it in drive, I can hear a clinking sound. Also, while driving at speeds of over 50 mph, there would be a very loud noise. What might cause this?

A: The Toyota Previa has a unique design in th...

The Toyota Previa has a unique design in that the engine is mounted under the front seats, and as a result, uses flexible couplings connected to a shaft that drives the vehicle's engine components such as the power steering, A/C compressor, etc. When these become worn out, they can cause this type of a clunking noise.

This kind of clunking sound can also be caused by a main driveshaft U-joint failing as well. The main driveshaft is what drives the power from the transmission to the rear end that transfers that power to the rear wheels. This can be a fairly involved problem to diagnose. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to examine and repair the noise that you are hearing.