Q: Clinking sound when put in drive, noise over 50 mph

When I start the van and put it in drive, I can hear a clinking sound. Also, while driving at speeds of over 50 mph, there would be a very loud noise. What might cause this?

The Toyota Previa has a unique design in that the engine is mounted under the front seats, and as a result, uses flexible couplings connected to a shaft that drives the vehicle’s engine components such as the power steering, A/C compressor, etc. When these become worn out, they can cause this type of a clunking noise.

This kind of clunking sound can also be caused by a main driveshaft U-joint failing as well. The main driveshaft is what drives the power from the transmission to the rear end that transfers that power to the rear wheels. This can be a fairly involved problem to diagnose. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to examine and repair the noise that you are hearing.

3. Clinking sound when put in drive, noise over 50 mph