Q: Transmissions won't go at stoplights

I bought the truck and it didn't have reverse, but then one night at a stop light it was in drive and felt like neutral, I had to hit 4000 Rpm to get it to engage, and now it's doing it more frequently. Please help should I buy a new tranny or a new truck.

Hello and thanks for your question. The transmission clutches inside the transmission is slipping due to the seals being old and brittle. The transmission you have is an AODE Ford transmission. The pump will pressure up to 300 psi and make the transmission work. However, if the seal won’t hold the pressure, the clutch will not engage. I recommend that you get a rebuilt kit, or rebuilt transmission, or new transmission. You could change the fluid and filter but by doing so you will actually damage the transmission further by allowing the new oil with high detergents to clean any old sticky debris that may be making the clutches engage. To have this scoped out, I would recommend having a local professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the slipping issue and advise on a repair.

3. Transmissions won't go at stoplights