Q: Clicking sound when trying to start my truck

asked by on July 26, 2017

I changed the starter, checked the battery and it's good ,changed the positive cable going from the batt. To the starter ,and yet at times when I turn the ignition to start it makes a clicking sound and other times it will turn on regular. What can it be?

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Typically when you hear a clicking sound when you turn the ignition key it’s due to faulty starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection to verify this is what needs to be replaced.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr