Q: Chrysler Pacifica gauges go haywire - I'm told it's an "actuator valve" problem.

Two weeks ago, while driving approximately 55 mph, with the windshield wipers, radio, and headlights on, the "check engine" "traction control" "ABS" and "seatbelt" lights went on at once; the needles on the odometer, speedometer, and tachometer started bouncing back and forth wildly. The radio turned off, and stayed off. When I parked the vehicle, and turned it off, it wouldn't shift out of park.

I brought it to a mechanic, who couldn't diagnose it, but ruled out problems with the ignition, battery, alternator. They were able to get it out of park, however.

I brought it to a dealer, who hooked it up to a computer, which found fault P0660 - Actuator Valve Fault. The dealer, however, indicated that they were sure that this caused the problem, but there are no OEM parts, and they can't use after-market parts, and so they can't do the work. Any other garage, could do it, though.

I called the garage, and they said there are no parts. How could a valve even cause this? What can I do?

The electrical issues are likely caused by a faulty Body Control Module (BCM) and/or a deficient circuit ground and Controller Area Network connections to the PCM and other modules. You principally have an electrical problem and that should be resolved first as the Code (P0660) may simply be a consequence of the underlying electrical fault. The "valve" issue is a non-issue until the BCM is checked out and the electrical problems you describe are resolved. BCM’s and programming are still available and the reason those you spoke to claim no parts are available is simply because it may be difficult to get the parts (if OEM BCM’s are not available, they have to be bought used but they are available) and, admittedly, the diagnostic could get fairly involved if the fault does not appear early in what we call the "diagnostic decision tree". At any rate, if you just request an electrical circuit/component diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Chrysler Pacifica gauges go haywire - I'm told it's an "actuator valve" problem.