Q: I can not hear fuel pumps kick on when I turn key on , I have checked relay, fuse and replaced fuel tank select switch.

Can a clogged fuel filter cause the fuel pumps to over pressure and not come on

A: Hi there. A plugged fuel filter could cause...

Hi there. A plugged fuel filter could cause the fuel pump to work harder and eventually fail. The filter plugged will not prevent the fuel pump from coming on. Turning the key to the on position only, the fuel pump will only run for 2 seconds, this is initialization. The key turned to the start position, fuel pump should continuously run. It would seem unlikely, both fuel pumps would fail at the same time. Circuit testing should be performed to properly diagnose the fault. As you already know, replacing components can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. It could be, a faulty or tripped inertia switch. This switch is designed to stop the power supply to the fuel pump in the event of an accident, and is usually located behind the right kick panel. I recommend having your vehicle’s inoperative fuel pump be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.