Q: Does bad AC compressor makes the steering stiff

It started with a rattling noise, I took it to a nearby mechanic who confirmed that the AC compressor need to be changed. He said i could still drive it. Now i started to smell burning smoke under the hood. I bought the AC compressor but now wondering if the Mechanic was right in the first place?

It is possible that the compressor is beginning to lock up and the belt is slipping on the pulley. This can cause a burnt rubber smell, as well as some smoke. When the belt spins on a locked up pulley, it can have an adverse affect on the other driven items, such as the power steering. The belt may not be able to drive the power steering pulley at a rate to allow the pump to assist the steering in the way it was designed, so the steering can seem sluggish. If the situation has you concerned, you need to contact a certified mechanic, like the mobile mechanics at YourMechanic.com.