Q: Chirping noise for rear passenger tire.

asked by on August 12, 2016

First off thanks for taking my question. For the past couple months I have had a chirping noise coming from my rear passenger tire. I had the pads replaced and found out the rotor was bad. Rotor replaced and it continued. My mechanic said it was most likely the brake caliper. The noise stops when I began to brake a little hard. It's mostly when I accelerate. Any advice? Thank you.

Trying to find the source of a chirping noise is very difficult for many mechanics because it can be coming from multiple sources. However, I was given a clue as to the location of your chirping issue when you said that the noise stops when you began to brake a little hard.

Although most mechanics would point to the brakes, I would inspect the rear wheel bearings. When wheel bearings begin to wear out, a common sound they make is ’chirping’. This is due to excessive heat being built up inside the bearing. When the wheel is stopped quickly, it can cause the wheel bearing to shift location, which stops the noise.

Wheel bearing issues are pretty serious, so I’d recommend that you contact a qualified mechanic to inspect the cause of your chirping noise. For best results, a road test should be performed.

Best of luck to you.