There is a popping noise every time I put my car into a d...

There is a popping noise every time I put my car into a different gear also at low speeds letting off the gas and hitting the brake it makes the same popping noise and at times when I go to crank the car unless it is on level grou...

There is a popping noise every time I put my car into a different gear also at low speeds letting off the gas and hitting the brake it makes the same popping noise and at times when I go to crank the car unless it is on level ground as I'm cranking it it will make the same popping noise around the front and area of the car Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on? Front end area, been going on for about a month Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car? 2004 Chevy cavalier 2.2 motor Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far? Nothing to do with this issue. Is it the gear linkage?

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. I’m really sorry that you’re having this issue and I’m going to help you through it, but please understand that I (respectfully) don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us to diagnose/repair your vehicle. Also, understand that I can't see, smell, hear or touch the vehicle either, so your patience/understanding is appreciated. Please allow me up to 10 minutes to gather schematics and other pertinent information for this issue. I do not know anything about the fees or charge so please if you have any concerns, direct them to customer service. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Thank you. **There are a few possibilities here. motor mounts, [control arm](/topics-control-arm/) bushings or internal transmission issues.** **If the check [engine](/topics-engine-chevy/) light isnt on, just remember that transmission fault will not turn the light on. the transmission would need to be scanned for fault codes using a high end scan tool. but I would recommend having the motor mounts and control arm bushings checked first.**

We did put it on a tester and the only thing that shows is converter CO2 I believe and it did not show anything else they tested the battery and it seemed fine also we replaced the battery and alternator last year so I don't think that's the issueWe have also replaced the tie rods and [brakes](/topics-brakes/) recently and a few things dealing with the gasyou think it could be the control arm bushings or motor mounts causing the popping noise as I put it into gear and sometimes if I'm not on level ground it will make the same popping noise as I try to crank it
Automotive Expert
**yes. if the motor mounts or control arm bushings are worn, and I have seen them worn to the point of hardly any rubber being left, any movement of the engine will cause it to knock. also where did you have it scanned?**

A machanic came to my home and tested it
Automotive Expert
ok, do you know what type of scan tool he had? if it as only a generic code reader, it will not read transmission faults.

I'm not sure he plugged it in under the steering wheel and read it from therebut I will say that my transmission has been shifting in and out of gears completely fine if that helpsIt is just the popping noise when putting it in different gears like reverse Park and then when I get to low speeds and then let off of the break and then mash back on the gas it will make a small popping noise as wellI can definitely hear it coming from the front end
Automotive Expert
that does help **have the motor mounts and control arm bushings checked**

Ok will do thank you, \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* happen to know of a price range?
Automotive Expert
**depending on what is found will determine the price. every shop is different with part price mark ups and labor rates**

Ok so motor mounts and control arm bushings. Thank you for your help
Automotive Expert
you are very welcome. please stay well

U also
Automotive Expert
TY

Hi I just wanted to let you know that you were right it was the motor mount and the car is now fixed
Automotive Expert
Im very glad to hear that!!!

55357;�
Automotive Expert
.