Q: Check Engine Light on, catalytic converter and O2 sensors need changing - $3000

Really? is it possible that only O2 sensor need change? Can I use after market parts and save a bunch of money ? I only drive about 8000 miles a year and will not put any more than 15-20k miles on it before I get new car? How long can I drive it like this?

A: Hi there: If you’re Check Engine Light is ...

Hi there:

If you’re Check Engine Light is coming on and somebody diagnosed this as a problem with your O2 sensors or the catalytic converter emissions system, it’s highly possible that the trouble part are the front or back bank O2 sensors. Most O2 sensors are OEM however there are aftermarket equivalents available in some cases. The best way to know for certain as to what you need to replace is to have a professional mobile mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, complete a Check Engine Light inspection, so they can pinpoint the source of the issue. If the catalytic converter is found to have been faulty, replacing the sensors won’t help.