Q: Check engine light on after storage.

I just purchased a (one owner) 1994 Ford Econoline E 150 (5.8)van. The check engine light had came on for the first time after the previous owner had stored it inside a shed for a few months. I had the oil changed, new plugs and wires and a new air filter installed. The light is still on, but what's strange is the light will go off as soon as I press on the accelerator. So as long as I'm driving around it's not on, but as soon as I stop at a traffic light, etc. it's back on. Also, it seems that the engine has started running more rough and the transmission is starting to shift rough also. I've done a little searching around, and it seems that the sensors have a big part in what information the computer receives. I've learned that there are many sensors and two or three of them (being bad) could cause the low power, rough shifting and high idle while in park . Your thoughts please. I know you'll say take it for a diag.test. Autozone can't test 94. Replace EGR or O2 first? Thank you

Autozone cannot hook a code reader to any vehicle manufactured before 1996 generally because these are not OBD-II equipped vehicles. An experienced technician like one from YourMechanic however is capable of pulling the check engine light fault codes fro the vehicle either by using a professional scanner that can read OBD-I equipped vehicles or by using the procedure where data circuits are crossed and the check engine light will flash in a sequence that will tell the technician the trouble code. This is the best place to start instead of guessing at the problem. Consider hiring the assistance of a trained technician who can come out and take a closer look at the vehicle, retrieve the fault codes and offer a more personal diagnosis.

3. Check engine light on after storage.