Q: Check engine light. How to clear permanently?

asked by on March 03, 2018

When my check engine light came on initially it gave me a code about the o2 sensor which I then recently just replaced. The light went away for awhile after clearing codes until it just now came back on and won't go away. When I first scanned with an obd here are the codes I received: P113D - o2 sensor circuit 1/1 slow response (high frequency), P0133- o2 sensor circuit slow response bank 1 sensor 1, U1504 - implausible message data length received from steering angle sensor. Seeing as how I replaced the o2 sensor and should no longer be a pending code now I'm thinking the reason the light still comes on is because of the U1504 code which I'm not all that sure about, my steering works and should be fine. I understand there permanently stored codes but that should not interfere with the issue I'm having. So if it's as simple as buying whatever sensor I need for the "steering angle" then I can look into that although I'm not sure if that's the case or how to go about that. Please help?

The oxygen sensor trouble codes that you are referring to will set due to trouble not only in the oxygen sensor itself but the oxygen sensor circuit too, which includes wiring, terminals, grounds, etc. Therefore, unless the O2 code(s) you downloaded are not current, but rather in history, there might still be an issue with the oxygen sensor circuit. The other code related to the steering system is not likely to be spurious and has no relation to the O2 codes. Although you are not detecting steering problems, that code should be investigated and resolved. All codes should be resolved as soon as possible because once the check engine light is on for even "one" code, if any new codes arise for new problems, such will be invisible to you as the light is already constantly on for "old" codes. If you request a Check Engine Light diagnostic the mechanic will get all codes promptly resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.