Q: Check engine light comes on and car does not start.

Check engine light goes on and off intermittently every couple of days. Additionally, some mornings my battery is low and the car does not start, even though I know the battery is good. Also, some mornings the car does not idle until I have driven it for about a mile with my foot on the gas the whole way to keep it from dying.

Let’s start with your low battery issue. It sounds like something in the electrical system is staying on over night that shouldn’t be. Your intermittent Check Engine Light sounds like it could be related to your idling issue. My advice would be to have a technician use a scan tool to see what codes are turning on the Check Engine Light and that will tell you how to proceed with a diagnosis of your idling issue. The same technician could also perform a test to determine what component of your electrical system is draining your battery and how to fix it.

3. Check engine light comes on and car does not start.