Q: Check engine light came on and driver smelled gas

asked by on August 15, 2016

While driving the other day, the check engine light came on and I smelled gas. I took it to the dealership and was told that there was a gas leak from the rollover valve on the gas tank. It was repaired, but once again the same problem is happening. Conducting my own investigation, I learned that when it had been repaired, they had used epoxy. Can you tell me how I can get my car fixed permanently?

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This is a known issue in many of the Audi’s. An epoxy fix, as you may know, is a very tricky and somewhat of a gamble-type of fix. There is a chance it may hold for a very long time and there is a chance that it may not hold long at all.  What you are describing is most likely a case where it has not held and is leaking again triggering the Check Engine Light to come on. This happens when the the system detects that the tank is not properly pressurized. I would recommend taking the car back to the dealer to see if this may be covered under warranty and whether or not they will replace the tank with a new one. Alternatively, you could have an independent technician inspect the gas leak in person to scope out what should be done.