Q: Loud grinding and stuck feeling at front tire on driver's side

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger FX4 level 2 4x4.... Night before last, when I left work it made this loud popping sound under the driver's side front tire, I could feel the vibrations under my feet. First, I thought something was stuck in there but saw nothing. So I drove around in a Parking lot in circles lol and it went away. Told myself whatever was stuck must've come out. Drove the next 20 miles home. Then yesterday I drove about 100 miles total w/ no problems.

This morning I was driving to the store and it made a loud whining sound (again from the front driver's side tire area. Then it turned in to a super loud grunting sound for lack of a better way to describe it... All the while it felt like the tire was locked up or something. It was not a high pitched sound" more of a loud deep grunt that can be heard for a block away!

Can anyone tell me what this sounds like? I just purchased this truck 45 days ago, it has 137k miles and I've experienced no issues thus far- but can't exactly r

A: Hello. There are a few things that this can...

Hello. There are a few things that this can be. Most of the time it is due to a failing front bearing. When a bearing fails this noise will occur. I typically get the vehicle in the air and spin the wheel while listening for the noise and then disassemble the bearing and inspect it. If it is fine then the noise may be a brake caliper or pad that is coming loose or a failure in the front differential. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.