Q: Charging battery failure

I started my car this morning and all was good. I pulled over at a near by store and when i got back to my car, i started it, but a message came up stating"charging battery failure". I am not sure what the problem is. I am able to start the car, but i can't seem to steer the car wheel.I can only drive the car forward and backward, but i cannot rotate its wheel. Please what exactly might be the problem.

Thanks.

Hi there. It sounds like the serpentine belt may have slipped off or be broken. A visual inspection of the belt area will determine if it is indeed off the pulleys. If the belt is slipped/broken, then there is the question as to why this happened. Was the belt old and worn? Did one of the accessories lock up? Did the harmonic balancer separate and allow the belt to slip? There may need to be a little more in depth inspection as to what the cause of your concern may be. The difficulty steering is due to the power steering pump is either locked up or, as stated earlier, the belt has come off/broken. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a battery light is on inspection.

3. Charging battery failure