Q: Blown engine in a 1999 Lincoln town car

Good morning, I took my 1999 Lincoln town car with 194k miles to Big O tires for an alignment check and oil change. When I drove my car in for service it was running great, no engine knocking, no rattles, no jerking. When I went to pick up my vehicle after services were performed, which I was told there were no issues and everything went smooth, I started up my car which started right up and put my paperwork away in my glove box. Then I felt a jolt like some one hit me and my car died. The mechanic pushed my car back into the shop, my engine had completly locked up, could not even be manually cranked. When the oil was drained metal shavings were found in the filter and oil. So now I need a new engine. I live in Sac .CA and my question is ball park what would be the cost to replace the motor with either a new or rebuilt one with labor? Big O is not excepting any responsibility so replacing the engine falls on me. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi there. Unfortunately, our mobile mechanics are not able to complete engine replacement services, so we would be unable to offer you an estimate for this service. Generally speaking however, a replacement engine that has been refurbished by a professional engine rebuilding shop would charge between $1,000 to $1,500 for a new engine. My general rule of thumb is that if the cost of repairs is 50% of the overall value of the vehicle - it’s better to scrap the damaged vehicle and purchase a newer, replacement car. You might want to consider this as an option. To find a local company that completes engine replacement in Sac and surrounding communities in the area, search on Google and you’ll find several.

3. Blown engine in a 1999 Lincoln town car