Q: Changed Starter and messed up programing. If started with Key it dies when released from start position. Works fine if started wit

asked by on February 25, 2018

Changed the Starter. Messed up security programming. If started with remote then key inserted and turned to run position it runs fine. If started with Key it stops when key is released and turns back from start to run position. Is there an easy reprogramming fix?

If the vehicle stalls when you release the key, there could be a problem with the ignition switch (the electrical segment of the key/switch assembly). The reason the car doesn’t cut out when you use the remote to start it is remote activation of the starter/ignition may bypass the ignition switch. Using the factory wiring diagram, that can be determined. The immobilizer software is firmware and can be updated or changed but you can’t alter it just by changing the starter. What you are describing is probably an electrical problem and if you request an electrical component/circuit diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.