Q: Car wont start

Over the past month my car occasionally won't start, it would with a jump. Driving it noticed that my lights would go on and off , my brake light would come on etc..then I would turn my car off and it would not start. By just touching the battery wires the lights would turn back on and car will start up, touching the battery with cables that are not attached to another vehicle will also turn the lights on and the car will start. What could the problem be

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle may be suffering from several different issues. There is most likely an issue with the charging system. This could mean that the battery, alternator, wiring, battery cables, or ground connection could be the issue. The first thing to do is a visual inspection and make sure the ground connection for the battery is clean, dry, and tight. Start by testing the battery or replacing it. This will insure you are not fooling around with a dead battery (or one that cant hold a charge). Then make sure the alternator is working. You can do this several ways, but the easiest is with a voltmeter. If both of these components pass their tests, you will need to dig further into the electrical connections. For more diagnostic work, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Car wont start